The School was built in 1888 and the date stone is inscribed with the date September 23rd 1888. This new school replaced an earlier one. Its primary use was as a school, but some religious services were held there. The junior school was demolished on January 23rd 1970 to make way for the new motorway. One of the buildings dated 1888 (the infant school) still stands and over the years has been used as a workshop and print-shop.
Further Education – from 1877 night classes were held for adolescents and adults and cookery classes for women.
Chequerbent also held mining classes for people working in the mining industry.
1880 – the first Chequerbent school was known as the Chequerbent Mission School and was located in two cottages where Maypole Terrace ( built in 1905) now stands.
Mr W.W.B. Hulton of Hulton Park paid the salary of the first teacher, produced reports on standards at the mission school and with his wife was a regular visitor to Chequerbent schools.