The origin of the name Hart Common is attributed to the family name of Hart prominent for centuries in the area, who had an estate near the common when most of Westhoughton was the property of Cockersand Abbey.School
In the 1870’s it became clear that although residents of Hart Common were small in number and were mainly weavers and farm workers, that a significant increase in population was imminent because of plans by the Wigan Coal and Iron company to sink deep coal mines in the area.
Hence there would be a need for a school and a room for church services at Hart Common
Rev Kinton Jacques paid an architect to design the Hargreaves Memorial School and sent copies of it to members of the Hargreaves family who promised to pay for the school.
1879 Hargreaves Memorial School opened with nearly 40 children on the books and taught by a certified teacher.
The main problem was poor health of the children and not paying their “school pence” because of poverty in the area.
1901 – school badly maintained.
1984 – threat of closure due to lack of scholars but new houses were built in the area and now the school accommodation was inadequate.
1996 – New school , St Georges opened and The Hargreaves Memorial Building was sold to a Christian Fellowship Church.