(Grade II listed building)
1739 – The first school in Westhoughton was opened on this site by Robert Harvey – Parson of Westhoughton Chapel. It was situated in the church grounds, on the right hand side of the Chapel. Originally it was used as both a Day School and a Sunday School. On his death , Robert Parsons bequeathed money to pay the Master’s salary. The school operated here for over a century . This building was eventually demolished in 1888
31st May 1860 – The Parochial School opened in School Street -opposite the church. The land for the new building was given by Hon. Colonel Wilbraham (a member of the Lathom family) . The new school could accommodate 280 boys and 140 girls and was built largely due to the efforts of Rev. J.R. Alsop who championed the development. The first Headmaster was Mr. Edward Wearing who had been head of the old school.
By 1876 there were 456 pupils and by 1879, 548 pupils. In part this was because Elementary Education had been made compulsory by Acts of Parliament in the 1870s.
2009 – New Name for Parochial School.
The school changed its name from Westhoughton Parochial CE Primary School to St Bartholomew’s CE Primary School, because of close links with St Bartholomew’s Church.
Since this time the school building has undergone several changes with new classrooms being added to accommodate more children. The ‘old part’ of the school has been retained and is known as ‘the hall’.
2021– the school can accommodate 210 pupils and continues to be popular in the town.